Common Grounds is gearing up for our annual Christmas dinner. This is something we have been doing for the last five years.
Adam Nicholas, one of our supervisors, put it well in an interview for the BBC.
“There are a lot of lonely people at Christmas especially in the asylum-seeker community and it was our aim to give them somewhere to go. We now include homeless people and anybody from any nationality who is lonely at Christmas, who just wants a bit of company to come along and enjoy a free dinner, bit of craic and usually some live music.”
“Last year we had about 80 through the door but each year it gets more and more and more, we’re particularly interested in the homeless and local assylum seekers this year because of last year’s cold weather and the deaths that happened on the streets last year.”
Every year the cafe recieves support from the wider community with local business donating most of the food free of charge. And we also receive monetary donations. Another local business does a charitable walk each year which raises hundreds of pounds specifically for this event.
Volunteers from City Church and Common Grounds will be joined by others who want to get involved and give their time on Christmas Day. Adem said “They just come, give their time and then they go home and spend their own Christmas at home with their families. It’s just people wanting to do something different, have an alternative Christmas, maybe not so commercial, not so about themselves but about other people.”
The cafe is open from 12:00 until 3:00pm on Christmas Day. And we’re expecting between 100 and 150 to turn up for lunch.
If you would like to volunteer or donate please contact us.
So far we have given away
Common Grounds FaceBook Feed
- RT @gentrymorris: I've been hearing from people hearing my music in @commongroundsni. Thanks for playing it! I'll send you a copy of the new album soon.,
- RT @Live_Drawing: @commongroundsni: I did a full day of drawing on June 19 2014 at Common Grounds, the well known Belfast indepe... http://t.co/nzYJw6P7Je,
- Sunny drinks for sunny days #icedtea #realfruit @ Common Grounds Cafe http://t.co/D7xeRVqd09,
- Our new friend @leonmccarron is hosting a book launch and talk tonight in the cafe about his… http://t.co/PYY5zr9VlV,
- RT @SimonCommNI: We told you that the @NCSGreenTeam are amazing, right? Join them Fri 23rd at the fab @commongroundsni cafe on University Ave 4 @SimonCommNI,